Valleywide Hospitals and Institutions Meeting Agenda
Central Church, A United Methodist Community East Dining Room
1875 North Central Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85004
Wednesday October 10, 2018
Reading of the 12th Tradition
Introduction of the new H&I Home Group Reps
*Homegroup reps: Listen for service opportunities that are relevent to your homegroup and bring the opportunities back to your meeting to find people who might be interested in being of service.
Zachary – the society in east valley, kailin – the real thing + sammy co chair, katie – GIT(alt), shirley – west side rush hour, mike – ahwatukee mens group – EVI liaison, andrew – AMG, chris – 7850 knucklehead, daryl – happy hour, justin – (did not get homegorup), joey – vicious cycle
Announcement from the Chair: Aaron D. | firstname.lastname@example.org
This Valleywide H&I Monthly Business Meeting is different than meetings that we find in the AA Meetings Lists and Directories. Typical AA meetings are scheduled to last one hour. Business meetings are conducted by committees adn we typically meet until the business is done. Please realize that the purpose of our Steering Committee is to focus on what ways we might conduct pertinent business in an effecient manner.
VWHI is going to be putting on the corrections conference next year – Saturday Oct 27th 3-4:30pm. At AZ dept of corrections – maricopa 24601 N 29th ave (I-17 and Happy Valley). Contact Tracey (Service Liaison)
The venue is the Maricopa County Re-Entry Center. March 15th and 16th.
STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CO CHAIRPERSON: JJ | email@example.com
*Awareness Day will by Sunday October 28th at Kiwanis Park in Tempe.
Awareness day: planning committee – every Sunday at 7pm. Looking for donations from homegroups. Flyers for the event in the back. Also flyers about donations are back there too. We need: gift baskets, gift cards, baked goods. $5 donation or a big book or a 12×12. Please ask your homegroups to help – we need volunteers and donors.
SECRETARY: Katy | firstname.lastname@example.org
Wrong date on the agenda – it’s not Sept 12 – sorry! Motion – Tracey motion, Harold second. Motion carries.
TREASURER: Dennis | email@example.com
Reports are in the back. Stripe is having a little bit of an issue – Stripe is what handles our online donation.
LITERATURE: Keith | firstname.lastname@example.org
$7,451.40 on 1000 books and 500 pamplets. Financially we fell short about $1,000. We also purchased 200 SRI meeting lists. Oct 30th is last day to order books.
AWARENESS DAY: OPEN | email@example.com
WEB SERVANT: Eric F. | firstname.lastname@example.org
In the past 3 hours – reports are now in PDF and webpage. Changed background image.
Calendar – list events – should we post AA related events? We’ll talk about that in new business. 535 uniques, just under 2000 page views. Lots of attempted hacks. Tickets for H&I Awareness Day and flyer will be up shortly.
TREATMENT CHAIR: Tom G. | email@example.com
Integro Care would like a meeting Monday-Friday 5:15pm (16th street and Orangewood) 85020. Would like man and woman. 1501 E. Orangewood.
Thomas Ducey – Arora Tempe Sunday at 6pm (adults) – needs someone to take over this mtg.
CORRECTIONS COORDINATOR: Bootsie | firstname.lastname@example.org
SERVICE LIAISON: Tracey M. | email@example.com
Now has access to email. Will answer everything that has come in in the last 30 days.
1) Newly elected positions:
• Nora is Perryville Coordinator
2) Open positions:
Awareness Day Chair (member of steering committee): this position attends the H&I business meeting on the second Wednesday of every month and the H&I steering committee meeting on the fourth Wednesday of every month. The Awareness Day Chair is an events coordinator who is responsible for two events per year: Awareness Day in the fall and Awareness Day in the spring. This position will create a committee to help with Awareness Day (with support of the steering committee of course!) and holds an additional monthly meeting for the H&I Awareness Day committee. There are lots of resources for this position. (JJ serving right now)
*any old business from floor?
1) Up for vote: adding MCSO position to steering committee. Shawna explains what MCSO does and why the position should be added to the steering committee. Marcie makes a motion that MCSO position, Tierza seconds motion. Aaron calls for vote. None opposed – motion carries.
2) Ad hoc bi-laws committee: first meeting is October 18th at 7pm Jerry’s restaurant. 24th street and Thomas.
3) Community Bridges East coordinator – currently vacant. Becky is standing – GSR and alterantive GSR, DCM, has taken meetings to treatment centers. Tracey motions to vote Becky by acclimation – did not get the person who second – Aaron calls for vote, no one opposed.
4) Calendar on website – Daniel asks if we could have two calendar. Wants to make sure that if people send us stuff thinking we will share, and we don’t – we just want to let them know. Committee decided to keep the calendar just H&I. There are links to intergroups on our site so people can get access to their calendars.
5) Splash – Suszanne C. – Accessibility Committee – rejuvenating this committee. Goal tonight is to raise awareness about this committee. In April, she noticed two blind men at the Mesa Roundup who had no food and no one to talk to. She went to the Tuesday noon at Road to Recovery and met these men – realizing how important it is to have accessible meetings. Please share the information on your chair about the Accessibility Committee. Contact: district08ACS@area03.org
Meets the second Friday of every month at 12:30pm – Schmooze Cafe 4222 N. Marshall Way, Scottsdale.
Any flyers that we send out for H&I – Suzanne would like us to mention Accessiblity Committee.
6) Aaron B. – make a motion, Bruce second. Makes a motion not to waive the sobriety requirements for an H&I position unless person standing is a month or two away from requirements. 23-15 motion carries.
Allison would like us to consider having people stepping out before we have discussion.
Becky – the bylaws may be the perfect place and time to review this.
Tierza – it was really uncomfortable and no one knew what was going on.
Richard – position hasn’t been filled – felt that there was a need to fill positions. But others felt that we should stay with abide by bi-laws.
*any new business from the floor?
In even months reports from Hospitals and Treatment will be presented.
In odd Months Corrections and Prisons will present their reports.
HOSPITALS EAST: Aaron D. | firstname.lastname@example.org
HOSPITALS WEST: Morgan | email@example.com
TREATMENT CENTERS: Daniel | firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have treatment centers that would like meetings brought to them, please contact Daniel as he has a list of volunteers ready to go. Thanks everybody who has helped him. If you know of treatment centers who need meetings or people to chair meetings, please let him know.
Unhooked in Mesa – need women to come in and join the new womens meetings there. Power & Main. 215 S. Power Rd. In Mesa. Monday nights at 6:30pm, specifically. Contact JJ (co-chair) for more info.
COMMUNITY BRIDGES WEST: Matt | email@example.com
COMMUNITY BRIDGES EAST: Georgia | firstname.lastname@example.org
MCSO: Shawna | email@example.com
Next training dates for NEW volunteers – Tuesday October 16th or Tuesday October 23rd, 3:30pm – 6:30pm, Lower Buckeye Jail – flyers at the back.
◦ If you’re applying for a temporary, 90-day Gate Pass only; you do not need to attend the 3-hour training class
◦ If you plan to obtain a Badge when sobriety requirement of 2 yrs is met, take the training when your schedule allows; they only hold 2 per month (on Tuesdays at 3:30pm)
◦ RSVP with Valerie Henderson – 602.876.7207
• Valerie is still the interim coordinator; she is unable to schedule two months training dates at a time until the role is official; at that time, she will also consider Saturday training options.
• Woman interested in volunteering at Estrella Women’s Jail, please contact me or check vwhi.org for the current mtg days / times. Three mtgs per week: M @ 11:30am / W @ 5:30pm / F @ 6pm
◦ Women volunteers are needed at Estrella for the G Dorm – houses women in work furlough program. Opportunities for one of the following days: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays @ 9:30am or 10am
• AA Mtgs for the MOSAIC program at the Estrella Support Bldg
◦ Chairs must have a current badge for at least 1 year & experienced (on a consistent basis) chairing mtgs at the Maricopa County jails
◦ All volunteers are required to be register with the MCSO Liaison prior to chairing or going into these mtgs per MCSO
Next cohort / class start date is the week of October 22nd
SPANISH: Salvadore A. | firstname.lastname@example.org
On Oct 3, Estrella Jail – 5 people attaneded, Oct 2 was orientation. Saturday 29th of Sept – 2 people went to Lower Buckeye. Friday 28th of Sept – 2 people went to Durango, 4 people attended this meeting. Sat 29th of Sept – 2 meetings and 19 people attended Lower Buckeye meeting. Received $1,565 as a group. There’s an event coming up Sunday 3530 N 32nd street in phoenix. 2pm to 3:30pm. AA for prisons – 3rd annual event – 10/28.
DURANGO & TOWERS – ESTRELLA: Shawna | email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (not reporting)
LOWER BUCKEYE – 4TH AVENUE: Aaron B. | email@example.com (not reporting)
PHOENIX WEST: August | firstname.lastname@example.org (not reporting)
FEDERAL CORRECTIONS: Nancy | email@example.com (not reporting)
ALHAMBRA: Tony | firstname.lastname@example.org (not reporting)
JUVENILE CORRECTIONS: Bre | email@example.com (not reporting)
LEWIS: Robert | firstname.lastname@example.org (not reporting)
FLORENCE: John | email@example.com (not reporting)
PERRYVILLE: Nora | firstname.lastname@example.org (not reporting)
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR: Laura | email@example.com
BRIDGING THE GAP: Ashley | firstname.lastname@example.org
BTG connects people just leaving institutions with active members of AA who can take them to meetings within the first 48 hours.
Anyone who brings a meeting into a locked facility will get a bookmark.
3 audiences: trying to reach people in locked facilities – that’s what bookmarks are for. Donations from pink can go to printing those. 2) reach employees in locked facilities and raise their awareness 3) people in AA and AA volunteers.
Had our first workshop last month and it was a success!
Sept: 7 calls – 5 calls were looking for AA folks to get connected with.
Pat L – now bringing in meetings into Eaglepoint at Lewis. Speaker meeting. Male speakers.
BTG committee is small but mighty! Please join! Last thursday of the month Oct 25th – Hob Nobs at 3rd ave and McDowell. 6pm for dinner and fellowship, and 7pm for meeting.
DISTRICT 08: Aaron B. | email@example.com
Correction Correspondence requirements are on the back. Corrections Conference is being hosted by H&I next year. See Aaron D’s (chair) update. If you want to be of service carrying the message. The new website address is on the flyer: phxaa.org. The idea is to bring more unity to AA in the valley. Sign in sheet going around.
SPANISH: Guadalupe | firstname.lastname@example.org
AGUA FRIA: George | email@example.com
To Daniel – I wish all the coordinators would give their reports on paper like you!
Oct 2nd – well attended business meeting
Nov 22nd – Crossroads West – Thanksgiving event. Dinner will be at 1:15p – 3:30p followed by meetings and event.s Register food donations at aawestphoenix.org or contact AFI office 623 937 7836. If you want to volunteer, pelase contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Christmas Alcathon – 24th and 25th aat Comfrt inn and suites 9824 w camelabck – 101 and camelback. 24 hour amarathon meetings, old timers panel, young peoples meetings and speaker meetings. Groups and individuals need.
NYE committee: AFI office to volunteer. They meet every third saturday at the month at 2pm at the afi office in peoria.
AFI financially in the black and donations have been strong th elast few months.
AFI would like to pursue the valleywide intergroup meetings. Awhile back they had meetings with spanish, EVI, and SRI – meeting rotated around, can be attended by anyone.
JJ: would support having H&I involved with the intergroup meetings – requested AFI come to H&I Awareness Day. Will make tons of copies of Accessibility Committee.
EAST VALLEY: email@example.com
Thanksgiving Alcothon: noon Wednesday 11/21 to noon Friday 11/23. Meetings on the odd hours. At Antioch Church, 1125 N Dobson Rd, Chandler, 85224
SALT RIVER: Sandra | firstname.lastname@example.org