Meeting Minutes November 2018

Valleywide Hospitals and Institutions Meeting Agenda
Central Church, A United Methodist Community East Dining Room
1875 North Central Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85004

Wednesday November 14, 2018

Open: 7:05pm
Serenity Prayer
Reading of the 12th Tradition

Introduction of the new H&I Home Group Reps: Gwen – Sober; Roxanne – some are sicker than others (krista – alt) mike – fountain hills living sober; emily – courage to change; steven – vicious cycle; jay – monday night step study in PV; patina – hogans heros; kimberly – SRI. Peter – goes to Florence with John; Mike – saturday mens stag, will be taking over in Jan.

*Homegroup reps: Listen for service opportunities that are relevant to your home group and bring the opportunities back to your meeting to find people who might be interested in being of service.

Announcement from the Chair: Aaron D. | chairperson@vwhi.org

This Valleywide H&I Monthly Business Meeting is different than meetings that we find in the AA Meetings Lists and Directories. Typical AA meetings are scheduled to last one hour. Business meetings are conducted by committees adn we typically meet until the business is done. Please realize that the purpose of our Steering Committee is to focus on what ways we might conduct pertinent business in an effecient manner.

*Next ad hoc bylaws committee meeting: Tuesday Nov 20th at 7pm at Jerry’s Restaurant in Phoenix.

*Next month we’ll be meeting in the Chapel.

Splash: Accessibility Coordinator for District 08; Reorganized in July – first ASL interpreter at Crossroads East last Monday; met with two blind men in Mesa and was able to provide them with speaker tapes; residential nursing homes – actively trying to bring meetings there; PV community college – working with mental health department; our belief is that everyone regardless of any barrier who wants to be participating in AA should be able to do so. Our goal is to get as many people who feel that they can’t participate to get into the rooms any way we can.

STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

CO CHAIRPERSON: JJ | co_chairperson@vwhi.org

October was a busy month reaching out to EVI, SRI, District 8. As ADPC, we reached out to Area, Bridging the Gap, Grapevine.

125 people attended Awareness Day

Total expenses – $1,902.58; we brought in about $400 and spent $1000 of seed money.

Doctor Bob’s Coffee Shop – January 6th every Sunday night at 7:30pm – April 13th is next Awareness Day

SECRETARY: Katy | secretary@vwhi.org

No updates. Harold, motion second. No one opposed. Motions carries.

TREASURER: Dennis | treasurer@vwhi.org

Treasurer’s report in the back – please make sure all of your group’s contributions are included. Harold motions to accept treasurer’s report, none opposed.

LITERATURE: Keith | literature@vwhi.org

Tracey filling in – spent $5,854.68 on 820 AA approved books. Please have orders in by COB Nov 28th. We now have H&I pink cans for you. Jamboree was fun!

AWARENESS DAY:OPEN | awareness_day@vwhi.org

WEB SERVANT: Eric F. | webservant@vwhi.org

Basic stats: 495 visitors, 1,191 pageviews. Ongoing issue with processing payments but working with treasurer on getting these figured out. New coordinators – please see Eric after the meeting.

TREATMENT CHAIR: Tom G. | treatment_chair@vwhi.org

Tim B. from Desert Mountain Health – Tim B; Scottsdale – looking for meetings Sun, Mon, Tus and Sat at 6:30pm; 6613 N Scottsdale rd, suite 101, 85260. Fri 6:30pm and Sunday 6:30pm available for meetings; Saturday and Sunday days available for meetings as well.

Email: Jay wants to bring meetings to treatment facilities.

JJ: Monday nights at 6:30pm in East Mesa, always looking for men to speak on panel.

CORRECTIONS COORDINATOR: Bootsie | corrections_coordinator@vwhi.org

Not here.

SERVICE LIAISON: Tracey M. | service_liaison@vwhi.org

Working with Tom G. on service need in Scottsdale. Relatively quiet other than that.

Corrections committee – we had our first meeting last month. We did a tour of the facility that we are considering for a venue, came to realize that venue was outside. Looking for new facility – 150-200 people; Friday night and Saturday all day. Conference dates are TBD. Next meeting this Saturday Nov 17th at 4:30pm at Denny’s at Rural and the 60; 4pm for food.

MCSO: Shawna | mcso_liaison@vwhi.org

[copy from email]

*need database of badged volunteers so we can have a central point of contact for info and cross training

OLD BUSINESS:

1) Open positions:

Awareness Day Chair (member of steering committee): this position attends the H&I business meeting on the second Wednesday of every month and the H&I steering committee meeting on the fourth Wednesday of every month. The Awareness Day Chair is an events coordinator who is responsible for two events per year: Awareness Day in the fall and Awareness Day in the spring. This position will create a committee to help with Awareness Day (with support of the steering committee of course!) and holds an additional monthly meeting for the H&I Awareness Day committee. There are lots of resources for this position.

[JJ continuing to fill Awareness Day position]

2) MSCO Liaison was added to Steering Committee.

3) Becky was elected Community Bridges East Coordinator.

4) Body decided to keep H&I online calendar (at vwhi.org) told H&I events only.

NEW BUSINESS:

1) Coordinator nominations for elections next month

Hospitals east – Harold is standing

Perryville – Allison nominates Nora – Nora just took over position a few months ago and would like to stay as coordinator

Volunteer Coordinator – Tracy nominates Laura to keep position

2) Tim: bylaws review – Bridging the Gap as part of the charter

*any new business from the floor?

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

NOTE:

In even months reports from Hospitals and Treatment will be presented.

In odd Months Corrections and Prisons will present their reports.

HOSPITALS EAST: Aaron D. | hospitals_east@vwhi.org (not reporting)

HOSPITALS WEST: Morgan | hospitals_west@vwhi.org (not reporting)

TREATMENT CENTERS: Daniel | treatment_centers@vwhi.org (not reporting)

COMMUNITY BRIDGES WEST: Matt | community_bridges_west@vwhi.org (not reporting)

COMMUNITY BRIDGES EAST: Becky | community_bridges_east@vwhi.org (not reporting)

SPANISH: Salvadore A. | spanish_coordinator@vwhi.org

[Salvadore & Lupe] We continue to cover 3 county jails: Estrella from 10:30 – 11:30am every Wednesday having about 20-25 inmates a month. Durango is being covered every Friday from 9-10am with approx 40 inmates per month. Lower Buckeye from 12:30pm to 3pm or 4pm with around 120 inmates in total from 4 different houses.

The following members are helping cover these jails: Margarita, Alonso, Carlos, Alexandra, Gilberto, Alfredo, Rufino, Arturo, Gabino and myself. Five members who have active badges and haven’t been using it: Javier, Sabino, Guillermo, Manuel, Macario and Maria. These members were asked to do their renewals but haven’t and will turn in their badges to Valerie, our new MCSO coordinator. On October 23rd there was an orientation in which two people attended (Salvador and Jose Luis) attended; they did their fingerprints and are waiting on their badges.

On October 28th we had an event to give info to our AA community about the service as an institution volunteer – there were 3 members who filled out applications. One was for a gate pass and two were for regular badges.

There were 2 members with 20 years of sobriety who have permission to work in the US, they have a driver license and social security number. Question: if these candidates apply for a badge having only the permission to work, do they qualify? They have filled out an application.

Shawna will get in contact with Lupe.

DURANGO & TOWERS – ESTELLA: Shawna | durango_jail@vwhi.org or towers_tents_estrella@vwhi.org

Email from Valerie Henderson on received on November 5th:

Because we have 2 major projects now in occurrence here at LBJ (Lower Buckeye Jail), November Volunteer Trainings are canceled at this time. If things go as planned, we should be able to have one(1) training in December. I will send another email within the next few weeks. As long as things go as planned, we will proceed, if not, I will see you all for the Annual Training in early February, letter will be out for those in early 2019. So sorry for the inconvenience.

I emailed Valerie last week to ask if it would be possible to temporarily authorize or process any New Badge applicants (with cleared paperwork) as Gate Pass Volunteers until the next training date is scheduled, either in December or 2019. Once she has had an opportunity to respond, I will update & info will be posted.
Currently working on a ‘database of badged volunteers & current chairs for all MCSO jails to ‘cross-train’ at other jails; either as a speaker or to cover when needed. Please see the handout at the back table!

Towers, Estrella, Durango:

– New Programs Jail Assistant for Towers: Officer Dembeic @ 602.876.5478
– Woman interested in volunteering at Estrella Women’s Jail, please contact me or check vwhi.org for the current mtg days / times. Three mtgs per week: M @ 11:30am / W @ 5:30pm / F @ 6pm
Women volunteers are needed at Estrella for the G Dorm – houses women in work furlough program. Opportunities for one of the following days: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays @ 9:30am or 10am.

Detailed info regarding sobriety requirements, Updates, current mtgs at each jail, & qualifications for mosaic mtgs are all located on website: vwhi.org/volunteers.

LOWER BUCKEYE – 4TH AVENUE: Aaron B. | aaronblaha@yahoo.com

We still have a need for AA meetings to go into jails – pick your day, pick your time, lets go! Badge requirements are on the website. There are no current training dates but contact Aaron to get them hot off the press! Sending sign up around. GSO told Area Corrections Chair that there are 0 Spanish speaking women cooresponding with inmates. Worked with Lupe to get 9 inmates to correspond with volunteers.

PHOENIX WEST: August | phoenix_west_prison@vwhi.org

Spent most of this year trying to communicate with chaplain, finally about a month ago she reached him. Picked up an order tonight to get books to facility. One volunteer thought he had completed all paperwork but hasn’t so there is a need. Please contact August – this facility needs meeting!

Lupe: tried to open Phoenix West, been waiting for 4 months. Called her yesterday, please still wait. There is a need. But having the same problems as August.

FEDERAL CORRECTIONS: Nancy | federal_corrections@vwhi.org

Not here.

ALHAMBRA: Tony | alhambra_prison@vwhi.org

Shawna – filling in – meetings going well, sobriety requirements online.
Alhambra is located at 24th street and van buren. Women can help if accompanied by a man.

The George Unit houses female inmates and recently started having meetings on Saturdays at 1pm. There is only one female in the badging process and they need more female volunteers to go in. Please announce at your homegroup meetings.

JUVENILE CORRECTIONS: Bre | juvenile_corrections@vwhi.org

Not here.

LEWIS: Robert | lewis_prison@vwhi.org

Not here.

FLORENCE: John | florence_prisons@vwhi.org

August filling. Following a nearly two year pause, meetings have resumed at Florence/East Unit and Eyman/Meadows Units. Tues 6:00-7:30pm. January 2019 back to basics workshop at both Florence/East Unit Eyman/Meadows Unit. New class of DOC badges called the Incidental Volunteer badge is now available throughout the department for those volunteers that serve six or less hours per month. The special feature of this badge is the elimination of finger prints and random urine tests from the applicaton process.

PERRYVILLE: Nora | perryville_prison@vwhi.org

Met with Seal, there’s been a lot of confusion, started off with two individuals not associated wtih H&I calling themselves volunteers. Two year minimum sobriety and badging. Phone interview required. If you aren’t honest in interview, they will not send you paperwork. Non approved AA literature was being brought in – warden approved AA literature only. Schedule is running; talking with Jan from DOC – you don’t get in if you don’t talk to Jan. 5 meetings a week. A couple of winter visitors that cover off days, so that’s 7 days a week. We haven’t had this much coverage in a long time. Only 7 volunteers currently. Kimberly (co-chair) helping out, working on paperwork now. No felonies. One problem: lumley (max) – haven’t found someone who can take in a meeting there, male or female. Its a rough unit so please have someone contact Nora. Needs 2.5 years sobriety.

VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR: Laura | newcomer_liaison@vwhi.org

Nothing to report.

BRIDGING THE GAP: Ashley | bridging_the_gap@vwhi.org

BTG connects people just leaving institutions with active members of AA who can take them to meetings within the first 48 hours.

7 hot line calls in Oct, 2 in Nov. All seeking meetings. Quarterly service gathering, this past month we went to dinner then went to AA meeting in dark zip code to get a volunteer – 85395, signed up 9 volunteers on the spot! Dec 1 – area service workshop, will be presenting about BTG. There is a flyer in the back 12-4pm at Studio 164.

This position is electable this round.

Thursday nov 29th at hob nobs right down the street, 149 W McDowell road, 6pm for fellowship, 7pm for meeting.

Pat: MRC – About a year and a half ago, in DOC there were some changes in how they were handling how the men who were being released who were alcoholics – MRC: guys that served their time, get out, on parole, tested dirty then shipped back. That changed. Could recommend department of corrections recovery program. We started taking aa meetings to MRC – north end of adobe facility – taking 6 meetings a week (CMA once a week). We need speakers. No badges, no background check for speakers (only for chairs/consistently being at meetings). They recognize that addiction is a disease and that these guys commit criminal acts when drunk and loaded. Sending around sign up sheet for MRC – Pat will call you!!

Increasing meetings at Eaglepiont – background clearance required – so far, haven’t rejected anybody. One guy was accepted with 1 year of sobriety.

Any men willing to be of service to these guys and taking them to meetings – your service is needed!

AREA 08: Aaron B. | aaronblaha@yahoo.com

Attended Awareness Day and answered questions at the Corrections Table. I attended Maricopa County Service Meeting and was of service at Area Assembly in multiple ways. There are many service opportunities at Area Corrections Conference – if you’re sober and want to be of service, lets make it happen! I will be one of the presenters at the Service Workshop that Sub-district 814/815 is hosting at Studio 164 on Saturday Dec 1 from noon to 4pm. The purpose of the event is for people to walk away having specific opportunities to be of service to AA without joining a committee and having to attend regular meetings.

INTERGROUPS

SPANISH: Guadalupe | hispanic_intergroup@vwhi.org

See Spanish coordinator report.

AGUA FRIA: George | afi_liaison@vwhi.org

EAST VALLEY: Mike G. | evi_liaison@vwhi.org

Having nominations for EVI – couple of steering committee positions open – chair, treasurer and two advisers. Proposed budget for 2019, will be voted on later this month. Thanksgiving Alcothon Wednesday at noon to Friday at noon. Meetings on the odd hours. Antioch Church in Chandler.

SALT RIVER: Sandra | sri_liaison@vwhi.org

Kimberly is taking over. Has a couple of fliers. Actions and activities: everyone is invited to attend business meetings – every second Tuesday of the month 7pm at central office. Open from 8a-6pm Monday through Friday. Closed on holidays. Saturday: 9am to 1pm.

New intergroup venue prospected – church across the parking lot.

Elected positions: starting January 2019. Chair is Aaron.

Accessibility gave report

PICPC – Terry – event at PV community college.

Grapevine report given by Doug – offering code for holidays.

Central office will be closed Nov 22nd and Dec 24th (9am to 12pm) closed on 12/25. reopen 9am on 12/26

opp to volunteer: phones: thurs 3-6pm, fri 12-3 and 3-6.

spots available for after hours 11p-6am thurs; sat 11pm to 6am

Remember to buy chips and lit from your local intergroups

events: service workshop at studio 164 on dec 1

cactus capers – mission bell church new freedom – dec 2 rooms 2 and 3, Glendale, 5;30p dinner at 6 meeting at 7pm

SRI alcohton dec 24 doors at 12pm, American royal palace

please be of service! Aaphoenix.org

SRI has proposed budget – don’t need yay or nay from H&I.

**JJ: motion to change seed fund from $1,000 to $1,500 because of inflation. On-site expenses . Harold seconds. Dennis: let’s talk about this at steering committee first JJ: tables motion.

CLOSE: 8:38pm

BIRTHDAYS

RESPONSIBILITY DECLARATION