Meeting Minutes June 2019

Valleywide Hospitals and Institutions Meeting Minutes

Central Church, A United Methodist Community East Dining Room

1875 North Central Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85004

Wednesday June 12, 2019

Open:

Serenity Prayer

Reading of the Concept

Introduction of the new VWHI Home Group Reps

*Home group reps: Welcome! Listen for service opportunities that are relevant to your home group and bring the opportunities back to your meeting to find people who might be interested in being of service. Be sure to sign-in on the sheet that’s being passed around so we have your name, home group and contact info. Please familiarize yourself with the VWHI bylaws – find them at the Resources tab on vwhi.org.

Announcement from the Chair: Aaron D. | chairperson@vwhi.org

This Valleywide H&I Monthly Business Meeting is different than meetings that we find in the AA Meetings Lists and Directories. Typical AA meetings are scheduled to last one hour. Business meetings are conducted by committees adn we typically meet until the business is done. Please realize that the purpose of our Steering Committee is to focus on what ways we might conduct pertinent business in an effecient manner.

STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

CO CHAIRPERSON: JJ | co_chairperson@vwhi.org

Spoke about the bylaws – will be discussed in the future. Still working on the Awareness Day financial report. Shout out to Tom from EVI who attended the Awareness Day and repped East Valley. Also special thanks to the committee who helped out. More numbers next month.

SECRETARY: Katy | secretary@vwhi.org

No meetings minutes from last month because they weren’t saved.

The agenda for this meeting can be found in the back, it has the name, phone number and email address for each person giving their report tonight.

Made some additions to the agenda – added the locations of some of the facilities.

TREASURER: Dennis | treasurer@vwhi.org

Treasurer report is in the back. Unable to access info from website for our bank – we recently switched accounts at the bank and realized he didn’t have the access he needed so working on that. We are at $44k already this year – budget was $85k for the year. We always drop off in donations during the summer but that’s ok. If you want a copy of the bank statements, check the website or come to the steering committee meeting on the fourth Wednesday of every month. Motion to accept the treasurers report, none opposed. Motion carries.

LITERATURE: Keith | literature@vwhi.org

This month we spent $7,495.00 on a $7,500.00 budget. The order consists of 1,080 books and 100 pamphlets. As always, all literature is Conference approved. Please have your book order in by Thursday, June 27th. Have a safe and fun Fourth of July. Nov 1-3 National Corrections Conference in Houston – has a flyer.

AWARENESS DAY: OPEN | awareness_day@vwhi.org

WEB SERVANT: Eric F. | webservant@vwhi.org

Having trouble getting into the website – can tell you that the traffic will likely be the same as last month! Aesthetic layout of new layout for website is done. If you want to take a look at the test site (gave test site – redacting for minutes). For design purposes only. Introduced Adam as Alt-Tech Chair. Adam stood and qualified.

TREATMENT CHAIR: Pam | treatment_chair@vwhi.org

Not here.

CORRECTIONS COORDINATOR: Bootsie | corrections_coordinator@vwhi.org

Nothing to report.

SERVICE LIAISON: Tracey M. | service_liaison@vwhi.org

Nothing to report. If you need help or have any questions, let me know. Has been in the hospital so will be getting back to emails and phone calls soon.

MCSO: Shawna | mcso_liaison@vwhi.org

MCSO has requested that we no longer publicize upcoming training dates. The email sent went to ALL Programs & Religious volunteer coordinators, not just VWHI. This request is to prevent potential volunteers from frustration & ensure MCSO is fully prepared for the trainings (with materials, space allotted, etc.). At a recent training class where only 16 volunteers RSVP’d with MCSO (which has always been MCSO policy), 24 individuals arrived & 3 had not submitted their applications. The MCSO Programs Volunteer Coordinator, Theresa McKenzie, is very accommodating & sincerely wishes to make the badging process as simple as possible. They value your service & time commitment. Unfortunately, this has happened in the past, with all Programs & Religious volunteers, & this recent training was a confusing scramble for all!

Per Theresa’s email, the order of operations is as follows:

  • Application is submitted to me via email, fax, or mail.

  • Once I receive the application, I contact the volunteer with the dates and times for the upcoming trainings and any additional paperwork that is needed.

  • Potential volunteer registers for an upcoming training. (This ensures we have the space and materials for all attendees.)

  • Once they have registered, I then begin the paperwork process. Some of this must be done before training, so that is why it is very important I have the application ahead of training.

  • Potential volunteer attends training and is given back part of their application to take to fingerprinting.

There is a “Four Step Application Process” handout in the back which explains this in more detail, please take back to your home groups!

When applying for a Gate Pass or badge, please ensure your ENTIRE BACKGROUND is given. If you’re unsure of past charges or records, please contact me or MCSO on how to obtain your full history. Very few records or charges are automatically denied, but omissions on applications – even unintentional – will result in your application being denied & you are required to wait six months before reapplying. You are not being judged on who you used to be, but you will need to disclose everything for corrections service work to carry the message to the incarcerated alcoholic. We are all trying to leave our past where it belongs, but that doesn’t mean it never happened. Part of your application is based on your character now, so please be honest about your past!

Good news – there will be THREE New Volunteer Training classes offered on Saturdays from now to end of year!

Volunteers applying for a temporary Gate Pass are not required to take the New Volunteer training. Sobriety requirement is one year & “off paper” 1 year for misdemeanors & 3 years for felony convictions.

  • The temporary “Gate Pass” can be completed electronically & issued by the MCSO Volunteer Coordinator, Theresa McKenzie. Effective for 90 days & may renewed upon request. Volunteers approved for a Gate Pass are eligible in all Maricopa County Jails, but may only go in with a badged volunteer
  • Scan & email the application, Handbook & PREA Acknowledgements along with a copy (front & back) of your driver’s license. The VWHI Liaison will submit the Sponsorship Letter for a Gate Pass.

The benefits of the Gate Pass if you have 2 or more years of sobriety:

  1. Faster turnaround time – electronically submitted & processed within a month

  2. You may co-chair with a “badged” volunteer while waiting for your own badge; until fingerprinting & training classes are scheduled / completed

  3. You are cleared to go in as a guest speaker

  4. If you have a fluctuating work schedule, you can see if this service work is a good ‘fit’ for you, without committing to a specific day or jail

Please tell your home groups – we can ALWAYS use more volunteers!

If you are a current, badged volunteer, please contact me if you would like to be listed as an ‘on-call’ speaker, fill-in chairperson, would like to try another jail, or if you are in need of speakers & co-chairs. We will add you to the Volunteer Database to connect you with other volunteers who are willing to do the same that are chairing at other jails.

*Shawna also handed out a sheet with the four step application process

*question about how to get badged – Shawna said to text her and she would share a zip file with all info

OLD BUSINESS:

1) Open positions:

Awareness Day Chair (member of steering committee; 2 year commitment – until December 2019; 2 year sobriety requirement; 1 year H&I experience preferred)

JJ: I have been filling in but during the last Awareness Day, introduced to someone interested in that. JJ will be working with her on the Awareness Day this fall together with JJ then she will stand for the position during elections in November/December.

Community Bridges West (coordinator position; 2 year commitment – until December 2020; 2 year sobriety requirement; 1 year H&I experience preferred)

Some changes at the facility, not sure what will be happening with this position.

Technology Alt-Chair (alternate for current Technology Chair; 2 year sobriety requirement; 1 year H&I experience preferred)

Harold makes a motion to accept Adam by acclimation. David seconds. None opposed. Motion carries.

NEW BUSINESS:

1) Robert is stepping down as Lewis prison coordinator – please take back to your homegroups

*any new business from the floor?

Aaron – Ahwatukee morning men’s group: Calling it to our attention – In the event that a position is eligible for succssion, and if its not filled, that position shall remain active and it shall remain on the monthly agenda under old business until a qualified individual is elected.

Aaron D. – Chairperson – we are aware of this section in our by laws, and we have elected all officials as such.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

BRIDGING THE GAP: Bill | bridging_the_gap@vwhi.org

BTG connects people just leaving institutions with active members of AA who can take them to meetings within the first 48 hours.

2 phone calls this month. Still going into James Walton house, assisting veterans seeking recovery. Pat continues to assist inmates. Reminder to anyone discussng BTG with a newcomer to always give us 24-48 hours prior to discharge so we can secure a volunteer. Annual PICPC workshop will be on June 22nd. Next meeting is 12pm 6/15 – Casual Nooners @ Lamba Phoenix then lunch at Barrio Cafe off 16th street and thomas.

VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR: Laura | newcomer_liaison@vwhi.org

Sign in sheet being passed around. Any new

SPANISH: Gabino | spanish_coordinator@vwhi.org

Lupe is the coordinator district – she is doing federal – ie Phoenix West. Now we are looking to get Perryville some Spanish meetings, working with Nora. Also talking to Florence about Spanish meeting. Continuing to have meeting at the usual facilities. Still waiting on 4th ave – hard to talk to Officer Chavez. He said “there’s only 4 or so guys” and Gabino said that’s fine! We can still have a meeting. More on Perryville next month.

DISTRICT 08: New rep – please see Katy after the meeting so she can get your contact info 🙂

no rep has been present for any business meeting in 2019

NOTE:

In even months reports from Hospitals and Treatment will be presented.

In odd Months Corrections and Prisons will present their reports.

HOSPITALS & TREATMENT CENTERS

HOSPITALS EAST | East of Central Ave: Harold | hospitals_east@vwhi.org

If you are affiliated with a hospital or a treatment center east of central, contact me.

HOSPITALS WEST | West of Central Ave: Michael | hospitals_west@vwhi.org

Has been giving out books. Working on being responsive on email. Will work with Pam & Tracey.

TREATMENT CENTERS: Amy | treatment_centers@vwhi.org

If you need books or lit, talk to me. Or she help coordinating meetings in facilities. JJ needs help with a men’s meeting on Sundays at Unhooked at 4pm in Mesa.

Salvation Army – Women’s – Friday nights at 7pm

Ebby’s House – Wants to bring a meeting in, talk to Amy

Tom: will forward the request to Amy

COMMUNITY BRIDGES WEST | 99th Ave & I-10, Avondale: OPEN | community_bridges_west@vwhi.org

COMMUNITY BRIDGES EAST | Broadway & Mesa Dr., Mesa: Becky | community_bridges_east@vwhi.org

Not able to make it – nothing to update.

CORRECTIONS

DURANGO & TOWERS – ESTELLA | 35th Ave & Buckeye, South Phoenix: David | towers_estrella_durango@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

LOWER BUCKEYE – 4TH AVENUE | 4th Ave. & Jefferson, Downtown Phoenix: Brian | lower_buckeye_fourth_ave_jails@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

PHOENIX WEST | Buckeye & 35th Ave, Phoenix: Sarah S. | phoenix_west_prison@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

FEDERAL CORRECTIONS | I-17 & Anthem Way, Phoenix: Nicholas S. | federal_corrections@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

ALHAMBRA | Van Buren & 24th St: Fred | alhambra_prison@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

JUVENILE CORRECTIONS: Heather | juvenile_corrections@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

LEWIS | Highway 85 & Patterson, Buckeye: Robert | lewis_prison@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

FLORENCE | Highway 79 & Butte Ave, Florence: John | florence_prisons@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

PERRYVILLE | I-10 & Loop 303: Nora | perryville_prison@vwhi.org (not reporting this month)

INTERGROUPS

SPANISH: Gabino | hispanic_intergroup@vwhi.org

n/a

AGUA FRIA: Sarah S | afi_liaison@vwhi.org

Dennis: Sarah is very sick; working with Alejandra on a meeting.

EAST VALLEY: Mike G. | evi_liaison@vwhi.org

Doing well on group contributions. Chair went to the Awareness Day, said it was fun. Discussing a new office location – Stapley and Broadway is getting too small. A new GSO book – our great responsibility. The biz meeting is at Antioch which is moving by Aug 1. Two motions: 1) Steering Committee to limit overage and transfer to prudent reserve. 2) 3% raise for office manager

SALT RIVER: Kimberly | sri_liaison@vwhi.org

Every 2nd Tues of the month at central office. 9am 6pm MF. 9am-1pm on Saturdays. November elections: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and two advisers.

July 20th – Unity Sponsorship and Service

June 15th – Studio 164 Service Workshop

Alcothon registration

Prescott area summer picnic – June 28th

SRI golf tourney – Indian Bend Rd. Saturday Aug 10th

Aug 16-18 August Assembly

Save the Date: Sept 15th for AZ State Conference

Aaron: someone texted me last week saying that he just got out of Eagle Point and needed help. We should consider answering calls from phone numbers we don’t know.

CLOSE: Birthdays & Responsibility Declaration